Thursday, April 26, 2012

What is the best AGP video card for playing the sims 3?

I have windows xp, and some AGP cards need vista. My system is ok, and will run the sims 3. On canurunit.com I get a pass on everything except for my video card. I was thinking about an ATI Radeon HD 4650 or 3850, but not sure if these will work with XP, and I read somewhere that I might need a new power supply to use these cards! Here are my specs ( I think )

Pentium 4 2.4 G

motherboard asus p4p 800se

1.5 GB ram

power supply antec 2650 BQE? (that's what it says on my reciept)

video card nvidia geforce fx 5200

74.5 GB hard drive w/43 GB of free space ( will have lots more when I get rid of all my sims 2 expansions and downloads )

Oh and my PC is 4 years old (if that matters)

Please help.

Thanx :- )|||You can get a older GeForce 7600GS, AGP version that won't require a new power supply. Antec power supply are good, if it says 350W, then it is 350W



I would be more worried bout the Pentium 4 though, since the game is a "living world" type of game and sim 3 will be more CPU intensive then ever.



But its worth a try, just don't need to invest in such an expensive card, since you can always tune down the graphic, and you have to, given how limited your CPU is





Anything more than a GeForce 6600GT or 7600GS is an absolute waste of money as your processor will not be able to handle good graphics anyway, and you will still find yourself tuning stuff down just to make it playable.|||just get a new computer :)|||both the ati hd 4650 and 3850 will run the sims 3 perfectly not sure about the power supply though but i have the sims 3 running good on the ati x800 gto and you shouldn't have to worry about the power supply or anything. so if you don't really use your computer for anything more than the sims the x800 should work fine|||I don't think I have ever heard that video card req's windows Vista. it might be other way around. geforce 7950GT is the best you can get for agp but it's expensive you might get something like 7600gt it should be in affordable price range.|||Look Below I added something=)



I couldn't find the 4650 as a AGP card only as a PCI Express which would not work for you. So the 3850 is the way to go. I recommend you get it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

But you could look for a better price elsewhere.



If your power supply is less than 450W then you would need to get your power supply upgraded.If you do need it, which you probably do is get an ATX power supply that has a 20 pin connector. Most power supplies already has both a 20 pin and 24 pin connector so it will work for both type of connectors on the motherboard.Look for youtube videos if you need help installing your power supply.



Remember to unplug the power to your computer before you start and also to touch a unpainted metal surface before you touch inside your computer because any static electricity on your hands can damage the computer parts. Basically unplug and unscrew your old power supply and and pay attention to which parts were plugged in and plug them into your new power supply.



Any of these power supplies should work for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis…

Good Luck and email me if you have questions.





Also get a power supply that has the following:

450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommended.



If you don't plan on playing high video cars intensive games this card will work just fine for the sims 3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



This card will not require you to get a better power supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment